Reverse Aging Through Dentistry
Orthodontic Treatment (Braces)
Orthodontist Serving San Diego, CA
The benefits of orthodontic treatment often go beyond the obvious physical changes of an improved bite and straighter teeth; it's also a great way to improve a person's overall self-image. While having beautiful straight teeth is important, even more important is the need to alleviate any potential health problems associated with the teeth or jaw.
Crooked teeth or jaw problems may contribute to improper cleaning of teeth, leading to tooth decay and, possibly, gum disease or total tooth loss. Orthodontic problems that go untreated can lead to chewing and digestion difficulties, speech impairments, and abnormal wear of tooth surfaces.
The American Association of Orthodontics recommends that children get an orthodontic evaluation no later than age 7. Though orthodontic treatment can be done at any age, timely treatment ensures maximum dental health.
With the latest advancements in orthodontics, wearing braces has never been easier. State-of-the-art treatments are now available, from traditional metal braces, to clear and tooth colored brackets, to NASA type wires that are heat activated and require fewer adjustments! Some patients may even be candidates for treatment with Invisalign, a revolutionary way to straighten teeth using clear, retainer type aligners that require no braces or wires.
If treatment is necessary, San Diego orthodontist Dr. Roya Mirkhan will thoroughly discuss which treatment option is best suited for you!
Reasons for orthodontic treatment (braces) adults & children:
- Breathing or swallowing problems - Mouth breathing can lead to snoring and sleep apnea.
- Crossbite - One or more upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth (towards the tongue).
- Crowding - Involving extra teeth or malpositioned teeth.
- Deep Overbite - The lower front teeth bite into the upper tissue of the upper teeth.
- Disfiguring of the face & mouth - Affects the development of the jaw and position of the teeth.
- Jaw & jaw joint pain
- Missing or extra teeth - Due to tooth decay, injuries, or inherited problems.
- Overjet (protruding upper teeth) - Upper teeth that protrude beyond normal and are usually associated with a short lower jaw.
- Self-image - An attractive smile can boost a person's self-image and confidence.
- Spacing between teeth - Teeth are missing or may be too small or too large.
- Speech, chewing or biting problems
- Underbite (lower jaw protrusion) - Lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw.
Specific to children:
- Finger or thumb sucking - These habits can cause protrusion of the upper incisor teeth, and mouth breathing.
- Teeth erupting out of position - Can be guided to proper alignment.
Contact us today!
Treatment and retention times vary depending on each individual case. Your San Diego orthodontist will ensure you have a successful treatment for a beautiful smile that can last a lifetime. Orthodontics can not only help straighten your teeth, giving you an appealing smile, but can greatly contribute to the health of your jaw, teeth and your overall health.
Contact our office to find out if braces are right for you!
- All on 4 Implants