Reverse Aging Through Dentistry
Dr. Roya Mirkhan is a well known dental specialist practicing in San Diego area. Dr. Mirkhan has been providing top quality dental services to her patients since 1997. Her practice utilizes extensive scientific research and the state of the art know - how to provide highly specialized dental care which include Dental Implants, Periodontal Disease Management and Prevention, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Dentistry, All-On 4, 6, 8 Implants and Comprehensive Treatment Plans which are diligently followed through to completion.
Dr. Mirkhan is the recipient of many regional and national awards in the field of Dental Implantology and Periodontology. She has been recognized as “ America’s Top Dentist” by Consumer Council of America and has been elected as “Top Dentist” by Peer Review since 2008. Additional awards include the “Top Doctors and Dentists Award “ as chosen by popular ranking by patients on WebMD and other leading health care organizations since 2010.
Dr. Mirkhan has been affiliated with Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla and manages a highly specialized private practice located at Scripps Coastal Medical Offices in Del Mar/ Carmel Valley area.
Currently, Dr. Mirkhan directs the ButterFlies Smile®️Dental Program, a unique and compassionate Mobile Dental Program geared towards serving the needs of San Diego’s Senior Communities. Unfortunately, a large number of Seniors in the San Diego area suffer from lack of adequate dental care and have to live the rest of their lives with unhealthy gums and teeth which not only greatly reduces their confidence but contributes to their compromised overall health.
ButterFlies Smile®️is designed to address this important social concern and offers minimally invasive treatments to Senior population
Changing the Way the World Ages - Aging & Dental Health
Routine dental exams are as important for older adults as they are for younger adults, if not more so. After all, the quality of life of all ages, especially an elderly person is directly related to how he or she can eat, speak and smile. Poor oral health can lead to periodontal disease and tooth decay.
Untreated gum disease is directly related to our overall health. It can contribute to heart disease, stroke, arthritis, diabetes and high blood pressure. Scientific research supports that what affects a person’s mouth can affect his or her body and vice versa. Taking care of our teeth and gums is as essential to a healthy lifestyle as diet and exercise.
Scientific evidence supports the connection between the following; especially in older adults with chronic illnesses who also take many medications:
- Dry Mouth, Snoring, and Pneumonia,
- Bacterial Plaque and Respiratory infections
- Gum Disease and Heart Disease
- Gum Disease and compromised immune system
Changes & Challenges
As we grow older, our abilities change and new behavioral patterns emerge, so our oral health care strategies must change, too.
It is not a given that we must lose our teeth in old age. Properly cared for teeth and gums can last us for as long as we live. By following our effective Dental Maintenance Program, older adults can keep their teeth and enjoy a healthy mouth.
The aging population face many oral challenges that if left undiagnosed and untreated, may have a serious health implication such as:
- Dry Mouth Syndrome – Results in high number of tooth decay, mouth sores and ulcers
- Can contribute to “tooth weakening/chipping”,
- Creates bad breath & periodontal (gum) disease
- Contributes to bronchopneumonia and respiratory infections
- Gastric Reflux – Stomach acid/heart burn can end up in the mouth, eroding tooth structure and damaging gum tissues
- Certain Medication – Certain heart and blood pressure medication can lead to serious gum disease if teeth and gums are not cleaned properly, leading to tooth loss.
- Diabetes & Osteoporosis – Can lead weakening of our bone structures including the jaw bone, and gum disease with tooth loosening if left untreated.
- Alzheimer Disease & Old Age – For an adult whose health and independence has been disrupted by this traumatic condition, a clean mouth can make them feel healthier, more comfortable and more attractive.
- Denture Wearers – Those who have lost many or all of their teeth may get fungal infections, gum shrinkage or sore and sensitive gums.
We cater to older patients with any of the following concerns and more:
We offer the following dental services:
- Comprehensive Dental Exam
- Complete Periodontal Evaluation
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Digital X rays
- Emergency Exams
- Teeth & Gum Deep Cleaning
- Gum Disease Prevention with Local Drug Therapy
- Anti-Cavity Treatment
- Oral Hygiene Kit
- Fillings & Sealants
- Denture Repairs & Relines
- Oral Hygiene Instructions to Patients and Caregivers
- Sedation Dentistry for Phobic Patients and in case of Major Dental Procedures
As an elderly patient, you are facing a unique set of concerns in comparison to someone younger than you. Our oral care experts have the experience and education to help you combat any number of concerns, including but not limited to dry mouth, gum disease, bacterial plaque, respiratory infections, and more.
At Advanced Dentistry & Implant Center, our team of San Diego dental professionals strives to provide a comprehensive dental program for seniors. No matter the complications or complexities of your particular situation, we want to provide you with the services you need, helping improve your quality of life overall. Whether you live in a senior residence, assisted living home, retirement community, or on your own, we will make our program work for you.
Contact us at your earliest convenience by emailing us at info@ButterFliesSmile.com.
If you are like the millions of Americans who are unhappy with their smiles, you are not alone. If crooked, stained, or decaying teeth are the result of an acidic diet, injuries, medical conditions such as diabetes, aging, or naturally occurring strains, you can find help from one of America’s top dentists.
At Advanced Dentistry & Implant Center, Dr. Roya Mirkhan, DMD, MSD, is ready to come to your aid. With 19 years of experience in specialized dental care, our San Diego implant dentist offers a comprehensive range of cosmetic, periodontal, preventative, and restorative dental services to help you achieve the healthiest and most attractive smile. Dr. Mirkhan prioritizes patient comfort and care and will do everything she can to make your appointment a pleasant one.
Dr. Roya Mirkhan Learn More
- All on 4 Implants