Dental Cleanings and Prevention
Schedule a Visit with a Top Dentist in San Diego!
Preventative dentistry is the practice of caring for your teeth in order
to keep them healthy. Maintaining the routine of brushing at least twice
a day and getting semi-annual dental cleanings can go a long way to ensure
that teeth remain clean, strong, and white.
The most important aspects of preventative dentistry include:
- Brush teeth daily with a fluoride toothpaste approved by the American Dental
- Replace your toothbrush three to four times a year or as bristles begin to fray.
- Floss daily as it helps clean tight spaces between teeth.
- Semi-annual dental cleanings and exams allow dentists to identify problems
and take care of them right away.
- See your dentist at least once a year for an exam to check for any problems
with the teeth or gums.
Preventative dentistry can prevent people from developing dental problems
such as cavities,
gingivitis, enamel loss, and
periodontitis. All of these unwanted and sometimes painful conditions can be avoided
or mitigated by receiving proper dental care and taking good care of your teeth.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
Your dental cleaning appointments with us will include the following:
A comprehensive full mouth periodontal charting to detect any deep periodontal
pockets that may lead to periodontal disease or
gum and bone infection.
- A comprehensive dental checkup to detect any carious lesions, also known
as "tooth decay."
- A comprehensive oral cancer screening to detect possible oral cancerous lesions.
- Digital full-mouth X rays or bite-wings to detect radiographic tooth decay
and bone loss.
- Debridement of tartar under the gum line using both hand scalers and Piezo
antimicrobial gum irrigation.
- Flossing, polishing and application of topical fluoride complete our comprehensive
- Home care and oral hygiene instructions are then given to our patients
with use of proper brush and other dentifrices necessary to keep your
gums and teeth clean until your next cleaning appointment.
- Bad breath evaluation is also provided to our patients to help find the
cause and provide treatment recommendations.
Your Complimentary Smile Analysis
We also provide a complimentary "Smile Analysis" for the patients
cosmetic dentistry who desire to change their smile.
Your smile analysis will assess the following:
- How white your teeth are and how white you would like your teeth to be?
- Do you have spaces between teeth and you would like the spaces to be closed?
- Do you have uneven teeth with chipped or worn incisal edges and you would
like to see them nice and even?
- Are you suffering from "gummy smile" and you would like to smile
normally without seeing too much gum?
- Are your teeth sensitive to hot, cold and sweets? Do you have gum recession
or exposed root surfaces?
- Do you have silver fillings and or metal crowns and would like to change
them with metal-free Lava crowns or white composite fillings?
Are you ready to get started?
Contact our office today to meet with our San Diego Dentist, Dr. Roya Mirkhan!